12 Most Important Reasons YOU Need to Join the Million Moms Challenge #AMillionMoms
I’m getting involved because I want to bring awareness to the importance of a maternal focused global health initiative.
I hope you too will join me because you don’t have to be a mom to help a mom. You just have to be one in a million.
Maternal healthcare is imperative for ALL moms.
1. Moms are a most important resource. Healthcare should be available for all.
2. Every 90 seconds, a woman dies during pregnancy or childbirth. Most of those deaths are in the developing world.
3. 1 in 5 women in Africa loses a baby in her lifetime. In richer countries, that number is around 1 in 125
4. Whether you are a mom or you just love your mom, you can help. It’s easy.
5. We have the knowledge to prevent 90% of all maternal deaths- and they’re often simple, common-sense, affordable solutions.
6. Pregnancy is the biggest killer of girls ages 15-19 in the developing world.
7. Every year, 360,000 women die from pregnancy related causes.
8. Every year, more than one million children are left motherless and vulnerable because of maternal death.
9. Ensuring skilled attendance at all births, backed by emergency obstetric care when needed, would reduce maternal
deaths by about 75 per cent.
10. Ensuring access to voluntary family planning could reduce maternal deaths by more than one third and child deaths by as much as 20 per cent.
11. Every day, ONE THOUSAND WOMEN DIE in pregnancy or childbirth.
12. The Million Moms Challenge is a joint venture between ABC News and the UN Foundation in conjunction with Baby Center and world class partners around the world including many NGOs.
You don’t have to be a mom to help a mom, you just have to be one in a million. I hope you’ll join me now: http://action.millionmomschallenge.org/join-me
Check out the inspiring response to this movement at the official MMC site, www.MillionMomsChallenge.com, and participate from your hometown!
Facts compiled from:
Featured image courtesy of ismana licensed via creative commons.