12 Most Empowering Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes
Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the most influential men in American history. Based on his legacy of using his philosophy of non-violence and his belief in what was right, Dr. King led a generation into a new age of thought. Striving for equality in the truest sense of the word, Dr. King positively changed the voice of African-Americans and other minorities in the United States.
“Drawing inspiration from both his Christian faith and the peaceful teachings of Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. King led a nonviolent movement in the late 1950’s and ‘60s to achieve legal equality for African-Americans in the United States. While others were advocating for freedom by “any means necessary,” including violence, Martin Luther King, Jr. used the power of words and acts of nonviolent resistance, such as protests and grassroots organizing, to achieve seemingly-impossible goals.” (from the MLK, Jr. Center)
What we have left now generations later are Dr. Martin Luther King’s speeches and writings to carry on his ideals and to continue to empower those with an open mind and a will to improve their lives.
1. “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
2. “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.”
3. “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.”
4. “Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
5. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
6. “The time is always right to do the right thing.”
7. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.”
8. “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.”
9. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
10. “Only in the darkness can you see the stars.”
11. “No person has the right to rain on your dreams.”
12. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
Did any of these quotes resonate with you? Which one touched you and will bring something to your life?
Featured image courtesy of Creative Commons.
Article by Peg Fitzpatrick