12 Most Annoying Wine Tasting Room Happenings
As someone who has visited roughly 150 different tasting rooms hundreds of times, I’ve started noticing the things that can be irritating, frustrating, or annoying. I know everyone has their own thoughts on what a wine tasting room should be like. From the experience, to the employees, to the customers, it can all affect your experience but I’m going to get into some of the things that annoy many folks, on both sides of the tasting room counter.
The 12 most annoying things that happen in wine tasting rooms are…
1. When the tasting room staff touches the rim of your wine glass with their hands, the wine bottle, or anything else. My mouth goes there so don’t put cooties on it.
2. When the wine glasses are not properly cleaned to begin with.
3. When the tasting room smells bad, strange, or strong enough that it affects the wine.
4. When the staff does not have any personality. I know this can be up to perception but I feel like I’m pretty accepting of people, and I have seen some real duds.
5. When the staff has TOO much personality and doesn’t stop talking… I’ve run into this as well.
6. When the employees of the tasting room talk negatively about other wineries in the area… FAIL!
7. Staff can’t pronounce varietals right or don’t know what’s in blends.
8. When the wine tasters act like they know more about wine than anyone in the room… get over it, wine = fun!
9. When the wine tasters come to the tasting room drunk… know your limits.
10. When wine tasters tell the tasting room staff that the wine isn’t good, save it for yourself.
11. When tasters aren’t aware of other people’s space… make room for others and stop bumping me!
12. When tasters bring kids to the tasting room with them BUT can’t control them… bad idea.
These are just a few of the things my wife and I have noticed over the last five years but I know there are SO many more issues on both sides of the tasting counter. This post is meant to make wine lovers, pourers and tasters alike, look in the mirror and see what WE can do to make the overall experience better for those around us.
What would you add? Did I include something that is NOT fair? Let me know winos!! Cheers!
Featured image courtesy of Basial via Creative Commons.