12 Most Worth Documenting Writing Quotes
It’s akin to pulling teeth for some. For others, writing ability is as intrinsic as breathing.
Regardless of your experience, writing is a rudimentary form of communication.
Writing is necessary. Writing well is important to your professional development.
But, here’s a little secret — writing is difficult. There has been a lot of writing done about… well, writing. Even the most proficient writers have days when the words just don’t flow. I imagine it’s those days when many of these 12 Most Worth Documenting Writing Quotes originated…
1. “Substitute ‘damn’ every time you’re inclined to write ‘very’; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
~ Mark Twain
2. “If writing seems hard, it’s because it is hard. It’s one of the hardest things people do.”
~ William Zinsser
3. “Writing well means never having to say, ‘I guess you had to be there.’ ”
~ Jef Mallett
4. “Writing gives you the illusion of control, and then you realize it’s just an illusion, that people are going to bring their own stuff into it.”
~ David Sedaris
5. “There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.”
~ Red Smith
6. “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.”
~ E.L. Doctorow
7. “I’m not a very good writer, but I’m an excellent rewriter.”
~ James Michener
8. “Easy reading is damn hard writing.”
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne
9. “If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn’t brood. I’d type a little faster.”
~ Isaac Asimov
10. “The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”
~ Stephen King
11. “Ink and paper are sometimes passionate lovers, oftentimes brother and sister, and occasionally mortal enemies.”
~ Terri Guillemets
12. “Write drunk, edit sober.”
~ Ernest Hemingway
There’s no doubt that writing is hard work, but it also can be a rewarding form of creativity. The best way to become a better writer is just to write. As Ray Bradbury said, “Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things, you’re doomed.”
Think of it this way, if you write, you might at least squeak out a great quote like the ones above.
Featured image courtesy of Dr Phil via Creative Commons.