12 Most Zealous Competencies of Customer Service Providers
Social media has positioned a magnifying glass on the function of customer service and its providers both large and small. Activities and transactions that, for the most part, used to go under the radar are now fodder for viral videos, blogs and Twitter chats.
New rules, paradigms and standards seem to be manufactured monthly to address this industry’s jump into the spotlight but are the rules really any different now? Certainly, the platforms and technologies are different today and possibly require additional technical training. However… at its core, customer service excellence comes from the emotional makeup of the organization delivering it, not the platform they choose to deliver it in.
It’s time we throw out the rule books and refocus on the competencies of insightful customer service professionals. Here are the 12 Most Zealous Competencies of Customer Service Providers that I look for when analyzing the strengths of customer service teams in enterprise organizations.
1. They’re able to keep impulsive feelings and distressing emotions in check
2. They stand outside of themselves and learn from their experiences
3. They’re receptive to feedback, differing perspectives and focused on self-improvement
4. They observe emotional cues and react accordingly
5. They take calculated risks
6. They understand the relationship between feelings: how one thinks, acts and speaks
7. They laugh at themselves, seeing the humor in all situations
8. They’re selfless in their pursuit of win-win options
9. They’re indifferent to rules in their quest to do things better
10. They find self-purpose in the team’s mission rather than personal achievement
11. They’re fearless of personal perils in determining what’s right
12. Their personal expectations are greater than those imposed on them
Collectively, this is the heart of a great customer service team and what drives the organization and each team member to passionately strive for excellence. What’s at the heart of your organization’s customer service team?
Please share your thoughts. Do you agree that these are the competencies that customer service organizations must be zealots for? What’s on your list?
Featured image courtesy of Auntie P via Creative Commons.