12 Most Caring Things to Learn While Your Child is in College
After my daughter graduated from college last month, I did a little thinking about what I had learned during her four years of hard work and, of course, fun. It may appear that she was the one getting an education, but my mind and skills were expanded, also.
This is what I learned…
1. How to text, tweet, Google chat and Facebook chat
In order to communicate with college students, one has to quickly become adept at the myriad ways available through technology.
2. How to look at Facebook pictures — and how to ignore some of them
If you’re friends with your kids on Facebook, you get this. Just look away from the screen, mom and dad.
3. How to use online banking to transfer money
This should be fairly self-explanatory. Those panicky calls for extra $$$ — they’re sort of a rite of passage for college students — and their parents.
4. How to check a credit card statement online every day and how to ignore said statements
Emergencies can come in many forms, you know?
5. Social media is so important
It’s taught as an upper-division course. It didn’t take my daughter going to college for me to learn that.
6. The higher the heel, the shorter the skirt, and the longer the hair the better
Please refer back to #2.
7. How to let go of your child when he or she leaves for college
The hardest lesson to learn, but the skill most needed.
8. How to treat a returning child as an adult
Possibly the most confusing of this list.
9. How much adults still need their mothers
And how much mothers need their adult children, too.
10. How expensive it all is
From tuition to plane fare, semesters abroad to “incidentals,” college costs a fortune.
11. How much fun it all is and how quickly it all goes
For any parent — or child, for that matter — it all flies by before you know it. Trite as it may sound, enjoy each moment.
12. How gratifying it is when your college graduate is gainfully employed
This, of course, is the most important thing of all. When college students find their first “real” job, it’s a momentous occasion for them — and their parents, too!
What lessons did you learn while your children were in college? I’d love to talk to you about them in the comments.
Featured image courtesy of jenny downing licensed via Creative Commons.