12 Most Insightful Sayings for Us, Yoda Has
Yoda inspires, challenges, encourages and teaches. His wisdom swirls around him like the Force he deftly channels and wields against the Dark Side.
I am not a particularly dedicated fan of Star Wars. But my two sons are — and it amazes me how, 30 years after I first watched this movie when I was in third grade, my now third grade son is just as fascinated by these stories and their universal messages as I was then. Yoda, in my opinion, models the perfect blend of qualities for teachers, parents, mentors, coaches and those who guide others.
Here are the 12 most insightful quotes of Yoda. Read them, you must.
1. Hard to see, the dark side is
2. Truly wonderful the mind of a child is
3. Great warrior, hmm? Wars not make one great
4. Already know you that which you need
5. Size matters not
6. Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering
7. Mind what you have learned. Save you it can
8. Do or do not. There is no try
9. Always in motion the future is
10. Named must your fear be before banish it you can
11. You will know the good from the bad when you are calm
12. Much to learn you still have, my old Padawan. This is just the beginning!
Recently, a friend tweeted to me the line: “Do. Or Do Not. There is no try.” It might sound a little silly, but it was just what I needed to hear.
If other Yoda sayings inspire you, please share them! And, for those who want to translate their own writing into Yoda-speak, here’s a fun website to visit: The Yoda-Speak Generator.
Featured image courtesy of Babele Dunnit licensed via Creative Commons.
Photo illustration work: Paul Biedermann, re:DESIGN