12 Most Transformative Life Quotes
When seeking pieces of wisdom, we often turn to the words of others. A concise expression can cut to the heart of the matter and give us the encouragement needed in the moment.
Forget the overused quotations that lose their impact despite their insights. Here are a few gems sure to get you inspired.
1. “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” ~ Joseph Campbell
We all have fear about one thing or another, but lets face it. Most of them are unfounded. On the other side of that fear is often the thing we desire the most. Delve into the unknown.
2. “A beautiful thing is never perfect.” ~ Proverb
How is it that we can fall in love with the imperfections of another? A crooked grin, an awkward klutz, or a shy disposition can be quite endearing. This quote reminds us that our flaws are part of our unique beauty.
3. “You can do what’s reasonable or you can decide what’s possible.” ~ Unknown
This speaks to the power of imagination. We tend to work within the parameters of what has already been established. Think bigger.
4. “You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
We have expectations of the people we love but that negates what true love is about. Too many people think of love as ownership. Love never binds.
5. “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage.” ~ Anais Nin
Our experiences are a direct reflection of our willingness to enlarge our definitions of self. Play big.
6. “To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.” ~ Unknown
Changes rarely come about without us taking initiative. Action is required for a new experience.
7. “Life is the sum of all your choices.” ~ Albert Camus
The place where you are is a result of all the decisions you have made up until this point. If you want a different life, start making different choices.
8. “The grass is always greener where you water it.” ~ Unknown
Wherever we put our attention is where we see results. The amount of personal effort can never be underestimated.
9. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.” ~ Mark Twain
External validation can only provide so much comfort. If we aren’t content within, there is no amount of praise that can make up for that. Our confidence stems from inner well-being.
10. “The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” ~ Flora Whittemore
One opportunity can change the trajectory of life. Remember that when opportunity comes knocking, the door still has to be opened.
11. “Sometimes the wrong choices bring us to the right places.” ~ Unknown
There’s no need to beat up on ourselves when we make mistakes. Errors are nothing but learning tools. Trust that we end up where we all need to be.
12. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” ~ Lao Tzu
This quote speaks to the fact that we are all works in progress. Clinging to what we have been is limiting to our true nature. Embrace personal evolution.
Which quotes resonate with you the most? What are some of your other favorite words of wisdom?
Featured image courtesy of Randy Son Of Robert licensed via Creative Commons.