12 Most Brilliant Quotes About Communication From Inspired Minds
Who can turn around your day with a kind word or a smile?
At my local coffee shop, there is a barista who always makes my day. She greets me with a big smile, always has a compliment at the ready and is sincerely interested in my life. I love getting coffee from her. If I am having a crap time, she makes it a bit brighter. She does this for all of her customers. She knows their names, their orders, and their lives. My barista is a shiny beacon of positivity and joy.
There is push-pull effect in all communication. The way you communicate can pull people toward you like a magnet or repel people away like a deadly scorpion hiding in the rug. Every time you open your mouth, the question needs to be asked: “is what I am about to say going to pull people in or push them out of my life?”
Luckily, there are 11 inspired minds (and one fictional rabbit) who can guide us to have improved communication and better relationships in these 12 brilliant quotes:
1. “You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life” ~ Zig Ziglar
A well-timed positive word or compliment can change the course of someone’s day.
2. “Who you are is speaking so loudly that I can’t hear what you’re saying” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Being authentic to who you are speaks volumes. People are drawn to authenticity and vulnerability. Coming off like a slimy, fake used-car dealer (or Kardashian) pushes people away.
3. “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all” ~ Thumper from Bambi
Negative words traumatize and leave an impression that can last for days. If the communication is going to do harm, take Thumper’s advice.
4. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you” ~ Dale Carnegie
“You” is the most important word in any conversation. Minimize the “I” and the “Me” and focus on the “you.”
5. “What will they think of me? Must be put aside for bliss” ~ Joseph Campbell
Put aside your worries about what other’s will think of you and just serve others with your message.
6. “I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university” ~ Albert Einstein
Treat everyone with respect no matter their status.
7. “Don’t be embarrassed by your failures. Learn from them and start again” ~ Sir Richard Branson
Miscommunications and misunderstandings happen! You learn much about how you communicate through your mistakes and you learn a lot about the person you are talking to as well!
8. “The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn’t said” ~ Peter Drucker
The ability to read the emotions and nonverbal communication of another person increases understanding and elevates relationships.
9. “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something” ~ Plato
Speak with a purpose, not just to fill-up a silence. Remember: silence is a gift that allows self-reflection.
10. “Be sincere; be brief; be seated” ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt
11. “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug” ~ Mark Twain
Words are powerful! When you chose just the right word, you increase understanding ten-fold.
12. “The way we communicate with others and with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our lives” ~ Anthony Robbins
If you are positive and communicate positivity, you will attract more of that into your life.
Here’s your challenge: go out today and make a positive impact on someone’s day. Listen. Be sincere. Smile generously. Be generous in praise and compliments. Communication has power to make a difference and change lives, or at the very least make someone’s day more luminous.
Did I miss any inspirational quotes about communication? Share them with the 12 Most community in the comments below.
Featured image courtesy of jmawork licensed via Creative Commons.