12 Most Illustrious Quotes About Wine
As a lover of all things wine, I have a special appreciation for the rich history of quotes about wine. For thousands of years, the famous (and a few not-so-famous) folks have opined, quipped, pontificated, and otherwise gushed about wine, whose rich history is inextricably interwoven with the history of agriculture, civilization and humanity itself.
Here is a list of my favorite wine quotes.
1. “Wine is the most healthful and the most hygienic of beverages.” ~ Louis Pasteur
2. “Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
3. “Wine is bottled poetry.” ~ Victor Hugo
4. “Wine is sunlight, held together by water.” ~ Galileo Galilei
5. “In Vino Veritas (In wine there is truth).” ~ Pliny the Elder
6. “Wine is one of the most civilized things in the world and one of the most natural things of the world that has been brought to the greatest perfection, and it offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than, possibly, any other purely sensory thing.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
7. “There are two reasons for drinking wine… when you are thirsty, to cure it; the other, when you are not thirsty, to prevent it… prevention is better than cure.” ~ Thomas Love Peacock
8. “In victory, you deserve Champagne. In defeat you need it.”- ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
9. “Life is too short to drink bad wine.” ~ Anonymous
10. “Give me wine to wash me clean of the weather-stains of cares.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
11. “I only drink champagne when I’m happy, and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it — unless I’m thirsty.” ~ Lily Bollinger
12. “Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.” ~ W.C. Fields
Some great minds have contributed to the lexicon of vinous quotes. What’s your favorite?
Featured image courtesy of Gianni Dominici licensed via Creative Commons.