12 Most Unexpected Life Lessons from Marilyn Monroe
Marilyn Monroe was a fascinating woman. From an impoverished childhood to enviable starlet status, her words ring true decades after her passing. I find it tragic that many celebrities, and many of us, allow life to wrap us up and pull us down into a darkness that is overwhelming.
I believe we are all much stronger than we know and that we can accomplish anything we set our minds to. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting started.
I recently came across several quotes from Marilyn that provided unexpected inspiration:
1. “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”
We all need a reminder to be ourselves. Be authentic and let your personality shine through. Don’t be afraid to put aside relationships that don’t value every amazing part of you.
2. “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they’re right.”
Life is a learning experience. We only need to pay attention to see the opportunities in each moment.
3. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
It took me a long time to realize that perfect isn’t necessary. I’m a big mess sometimes and that’s a-okay. People need to relate to each other. We are all flawed — and that’s what makes us lovable!
4. “Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together”
When the going gets tough, the tough know that there’s something better waiting at the end of the journey and push through the hard times to get there.
5. “Keep smiling, because life is a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.”
Beautiful things are all around us. Take notice and be thankful.
6. “It’s better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.”
Happiness is a choice. No person, situation, or thing will make you happy unless you decide to be happy. Happiness never comes to you, it comes from you.
7. “This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you’re going to mess up sometimes, it’s a universal truth.”
You are responsible for the life you create. Design each day the way you choose to live.
8. ” Just because you fail once, doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don’t, then who will”
Failure is a part of life. Failure comes to you as a friend to help you, teach you, and allow you to grow. Dust yourself off, get back up and give it another go. You have only failed if you allow failure to keep you down.
9. “If I’d observed all the rules I’d never have got anywhere.”
It’s your life! Live it! Break from the norm – we’re not all meant to achieve success in the same way along the same path. Don’t worry about what others think. Choose your path and move confidently toward your dreams.
10. “We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.”
The number one regret of people at the end of their lives is that they didn’t have the courage to live a life true to themselves, rather than a life others expected. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Every moment is new opportunity to begin living. Why not start now!
11. “We are all of us stars, and we deserve to twinkle.”
Love yourself! Believe in yourself and let the true you twinkle like the shining star you are.
12. “I restore myself when I’m alone.”
Finding calm in a hectic world is not easy. Purposefully set aside a few moments alone each day. Reflect on your dreams. Relax your body and your mind. Reconnect with yourself. Breathe.
For all of her faults, there are so many things we can learn from her words. There is good to be found in every person. Unfortunately one thing Marilyn professed but couldn’t embrace was to stop trying to be what people wanted her to be and make them accept her for who she was. I think we all struggle with that balance sometimes. To embrace life and live big requires awareness of ourselves, our values, and our priorities. Keeping those things in focus makes it easier to find balance.
Who is someone who provides you with unexpected inspiration?
Featured image courtesy of encanto_sunland via Creative Commons.